Thursday, November 11, 2010

The staff

Abby slept all afternoon and most of the night. Other than when she has to move to go to the bathroom, she was pretty pain free, which is nice.

Just like everyone says, the staff here is mostly amazing. We haven't had a bad nurse, and all the nursing students, care providers, everyone, are great. But what's funny is how that highlights the not so good experiences. Abby has a drain in her leg, but it didn't seem to be draining, so an orthopedic resident came in to move the drain a little bit to see if it would drain better. Now, Abby has been handling the pain of the surgery extremely well, but the acute pain of the needle, or the drain moved in her leg, she's not so good with. So when the woman moved the drain out a little bit, Abby cried and then when the doc did it again, she screamed and went back to her "I don't wanna DO it again" mantra. When the doctor had to move it one more time (the third time), she kept telling Abby, "Just relax, dear." She must have said "dear" 20 times while she was in here, and she's not an old lady or anything. In fact, probably younger than me. So when she was starting to move it again, she looked at Abby and asked, "Do you think I can do this without you screaming this time?" I just looked back at Abby and said, "If it makes you feel better, go ahead and scream." It was just so patronizing!

In the next hour, Physical Therapy is going to come in and try to help her to move around. She hasn't been out of her bed unless lifted by me and a nurse, and I just know she's not going to like it. Hopefully she'll be cooperative and try to get it figured out! I made the mistake of telling her today is her "day off", meaning no surgery. She thought it meant no one would come in. I guess I better watch what words I use better.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I'm sorry to say that there is always one of those staff members. I have some stories myself. It makes you wonder why they go into the health care field, particularly peds. Good for you for telling Abby to go ahead and yell if she needed to.

I hope PT goes well today and isn't too difficult for Abby. I'm thinking and praying for you all. (((HUGS)))

Post a Comment