Sunday, November 28, 2010

Shopping

I enjoy shopping. Really, I do! But mostly, I enjoy shopping at Kohl's, Target, Walmart, the grocery store. Last week I ventured to the mall to get a birthday present for a friend of Abby's. Her friend really likes the store Justice, and I'd never been there, so wasn't quite sure what to expect. I walked in, and right away felt a little clausterphobic. It has everything a preteen could possibly want--clothes, pillows, jewelry, shoes, zhu zhu pets, pink soccer balls, whatever! If ever a 12-year-old-girl said, "I want a...", they have it. Which, while not my thing, isn't a bad thing in and of itself. What was more disturbing was the number of times I heard, "I want...", "Buy me...", or "But you said I could get..." Lots of entitled girls, lots of indulgent moms. Clearly not everyone who shops their is like that, and Abby's friend who I was getting the gift for is not at all like that, but that day it was just really crazy to me. My plan was to walk the rest of the mall, but I got halfway done and just couldn't even do the rest.

Then, Friday, I got up at 4 AM, in the freezing cold, to get a TV. I've never done Black Friday shopping, at least not since it's gotten so crazy. I got to Best Buy at 4:40, stood in the long line that wrapped around the back of the building in the cold, finally got in, and then stood in the TV line for another 25 minutes. Then I stood in the regular check-out line for 25 minutes. But I got a good deal on a TV! And although it took a long time, it was all pretty organized and tame. Then I went into Target, saw the lines that literally wrapped around the store (up and down the aisles, all the way to the back of the store) and walked out. Same thing at Fleet Farm (I mistakenly assumed it would be calmer there... WRONG!). Then I went to the grocery store, got donuts and went home just in time for the kids to wake up. Luckily, mid-morning I got a two hour nap and was doing well by the end of the day.

And inbetween all that shopping was Thanksgiving. I glossed over the actual day, but know that I am truly thankful this year. For so many things. We were at my mom and dad's house, for the second year in a row, and the kids have so much fun with their cousins. And never fail, there's always a time when Dave and my brother-in-law are off doing something, and all the kids are somewhere, and it's just my sister, my parents and me hanging out for a little bit. It feels so old school and comfortable and nice. And of course, with all eight kids, no matter how good they are, it's always just a little bit crazy. I wouldn't have it any other way! And this year, our cutest turkey of all was my sister's youngest, 3-month old Kate...

Hope you had a great holiday, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment