Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Running Commentary

Being with Abby throughout the day is pretty funny because she provides running commentary, sometimes reflecting what's on tv and sometimes just from her own head. She thinks the lawyers are nice becuase first, they're in your state, and second, if you don't win money you don't have to pay them. That's so nice! Then she decided she was glad she had her leg problem instead of the problem people who have Dulcolax have. I mean, it doesn't make you go, it just makes you go easier.

Out of the blue she'll comment about what's going on, too. She has to have some surgery, so she's on a loop, saying, "It won't hurt, right? I'll just be asleep? It'll just be like this (pretends to be asleep)?" I reassure her. Then, "I'll just feel them moving my legs, right? Nothing bad?" I reassure her that she won't feel that. "They won't need my blood again today, right?" I tell her I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. But that they probably will in the morning and each morning she's here. Then we're back to surgery, "Will the medicine they use hurt?" I reassure her that it just goes through her IV that she already has in. It's a big loop, but keeps me looped in to what she's think and what she's worried about.

Right now we're just hanging out, but we'll be here at least another night. They're going to do a bone biopsy to make sure it's infection and rule out all the other "scary stuff," as the orthopedic doctor said. His saying that made it more scary, not less. She's next up on the surgery docket. She's so thirsty but can't have anything. I feel bad, but she's handling it well other than a bout here and there.

The head orthopedic doc came in to see us about 30 minutes ago. Considering we were supposed to see the physician's assistant today and now we're consulting with the head honcho, I don't like it. I was doing fine before he came in, and now I'm close to losing it. But if I lose it, I know Abby will worry more, so I won't! We should have the preliminary results of the biopsy pretty quick after the surgery, but then a couple of days for the pathology report.

For anyone reading this who sends me texts... my phone is almost out of battery. I'm hoping to get it charged this afternoon, so if I don't respond, know that I'll get them later and appreciate your thoughts and well wishes!

I'll update more when I know more...

No comments:

Post a Comment