Thursday, November 11, 2010

A great day

It's funny how everything is relative, but relatively speaking, today was a great day. Physical Therapy came this morning and Abby was really worried about having to move around, but she did wonderfully! She was able to scoot to the edge of the bed and get up on a walker. Which means she can get into the bathroom now instead of being lifted onto a commode. She hated that commode! Tomorrow, if all goes well, she'll be progressing to crutches. I'm not sure how long she'll have the crutches, but she has to be very careful of how much weight she puts on the infected leg. Because of the biopsy, it's at a much great risk of a fracture. I can only imagine how that would go.

Today was also education day for me. How will the Home Healthcare work (to clean her PICC line)? How do I put medicine in? What medicine goes first? How do I cap it? And clamp it? All those fun things that I never dreamed I'd have to learn.

And today was also Jill gets out of the hospital day. Yeah! It was hard to leave, really. Dave was here, but I was so worried about missing something. What if the nurse came in with vital information I needed? They were capping her PICC line, shouldn't I be here for that? She's supposed to walk a couple of times, don't you need my help? And of course, in the end, all went fine, and Dave did great and I think it was nice that the two of them got some time together.

What did I do with all my free time? Well... first I went to lunch, which was nice. Chinese, yum! And then I wasn't sure what I was going to do... go home, take a shower, get a nap? Nah. The house is big. And quiet. And lonely. So instead I shopped and got my hospital wardrobe. Yup, that's right, my hospital wardrobe. It consists of a new pair of jeans, socks, sweater, sweatshirt, pjs, shoes, slippers and maybe some other unmentionables. But I won't mention those. The funny thing is that it's probably all stuff I would have bought anyway, but for now, it's become my hospital closet.

When I got back, Abby looked great. She had color back in her face, she was up in a wheelchair instead of flat on her back in the bed and was more talkative then she's been since we got here. She even had a little pizza for dinner, which is the most she's eaten for a long time... even when she was at home, she was in so much pain earlier in the week that she had crackers for dinner, and string cheese for lunch. This is a mighty improvement!

Tomorrow is a big day. In the morning they'll do more bloodwork to determine if her infection markers have dropped. The head orthopedic doctor (Dr. Lyon) will also come back to determine how she looks, how her biopsy site is draining, and give us the plan of action. By the end of the day tomorrow, I'm hoping we'll at least know how much longer she'll be here.

Here's hoping for a restful night!

1 comment:

Renee said...

So happy to hear you had a great day! I wish I was there to give you a hug! :)
You have been through so much in so little time!
Lots of love to you all!
Renee

Post a Comment