Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happy birthday, crazy kid!

Nolan is seven today. SEVEN! He was just turning 4 when I "quit" work, and now he's seven. That seems so much bigger than 6. So much older. He's definitely a kid with his own sense of style, humor and questions. He loves sports, both basketball and baseball, and has just discovered who Michael Jordan is. He got Heelys for his birthday, and took them off tonight only to put on his cleats for baseball practice. I don't think he ever stops.

The kids are so lucky that they get to celebrate their birthdays so many times. First was last Saturday, when Dave and Mayur (across the street) took Nolan and Kyan (Mayur's son) (who also shares the same birthday) to Stonefire Pizza (Chuck E. Cheese only nicer) with two friends of theirs. I think the boys, both young and old, had a good time.
 Nolan, Payton, Nick and Kyan
 Dave has a new title... cake decorator!
 A conspiratorial look, I think.
 Big wishes!
 And afterwards, they came home and played, what else, Wii!
Then, on Sunday (also Easter), Nolan celebrated again with his cousin Chad, who turns 8 on Sunday.



 Even Grumpy was in a party mood!
Then today, we celebrated the actual day with him. Then, this weekend, we'll celebrate with Dave's family. Like I said, lucky, lucky kid!

For Abby, I wrote about what I remember about when she was born. Well, with Nolan, I woke up around 4 AM and realized my water broke. When I told Dave, he told me he wasn't thirstay. What?? Apparently he was still asleep. Then he asked me if he had to get up. Well, yes. I would recommend that. Then I called the doctor, took a shower, called the neighbors to come stay with Abby and headed out. Then Dave realized he forgot his wallet at work, so we made a pitstop at his office (yes, really). Then we finally made it to the hospital around 8 AM, I was dialated to about 6. Perfect. I don't remember much inbetween then and him being born, but he came into the world at 1:52 PM and was my biggest kid at 8 lbs., 2 oz., and 22 inches. It was so nice out the day he was born and the day after, I just wanted to go outside. But the day we went home, it was miserable, cold and rainy.

I wrote Nolan a letter in the hospital, and found it last week when I was transferring from one planner to the other. Because I can't guarantee I'll find it again in the next seven years, I'll type it here:
Dear Nolan--I have to write small because this is the paper they gave me, and I feel like I have so much to say to you! You were scheduled to come into this world on May 2, but made your appearance a little early. At 8 lbs., 2 oz., I'm glad! My water broke at 4 AM, and from there it just kept going. All in all, you were pretty easy. The nurses kept making fun of me because every time they checked me I would be further along, but not even a sign of pain! I'm hoping that means you'll have my laid-back personality! They're already saying you look like your dad, but that's ok! I'm sitting here watching you, and you're just starting to wake up. You're such a sound sleeper! I had you in the room all night and barely heard you. I wonder if you'll stay that way? Well, the doctor just took you to check you out. I hope all goes well. They tested your hearing last night, but one side had problems. We'll see when they do it later what happens--I'm sure it's ok!
You met your big sister for the first time yesterday and she was so proud of you! She wouldn't let anyone hold you but me. When the nurse took you to give you a bath, Abby screamed and screamed! She kept touching your head (and poking your eyes!) and giving you tons of kisses. Since she wouldn't let me hold any baby before you were born, we couldn't have expected any better!
Well, you just came back from your follow-up hearing test, and no problem. Maybe it just means that I'll have to tell you everything twice!
I sure am excited to go home with you and our new family of four (plus Sadie!). I can't even imagine how the same or how different it will be than with Abby. I think you're lucky that we got all the first parent mistakes out of the way with her!
Just like you, I was a second child, and I have no idea if your dad and I will have more little kiddos or not. As a second child, I know that you won't get as many pictures taken, your firsts will be the "second" firsts after Abby, and you may always be compared to her. But I can tell you this--You will always be 100% loved as Nolan. No matter what you do in life, you'll always be my son, my love. I can't wait to watch you grow.
Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment