Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fun in the sun

For as long as I can remember, which means, as long as I've been blogging and can go back and read about it, Memorial Day has been great. Last year I declared it my new most favorite holiday and the year before we kicked the summer off right with a few alcoholic beverages. I'm happy to report that this year was no different. All last weekend we were going back and forth on whether we should head down to Dave's parents, to the pool (as well as to visit them!) or to stay home. Go, stay, go, stay. That's the way most of our conversations went. Clearly we're stunning coversationalists. Ultimately, we decided it was a GO and boy are we glad we did!

Dave was down in Chicago for work on Friday, and he got a ride with a coworker, so the kids and I packed the car Friday morning (they had the day off school) and headed down to meet him. On our way we stopped at Rainforest Cafe in Gurnee Mills, and I decided it's the perfect place to eat lunch with the kids. There's plenty to distract them, noisy enough, and, luckily that day, it was pretty empty. Then we walked around the mall for a little bit before hopping back in the car, picking Dave up at the Oasis, and heading down to Grandma and Grandpas. A little pizza Friday night and bedtime for the kids in hopes of a pool-filled Saturday.

To say pool-filled would actually be an understatement. We got in the pool at 9 in the morning, and I don't think it was empty for more than 30 minutes until 5:00 Saturday night. Dave and I had a great time, the kids loved it, and the weather was just perfect. And even better? Sunday was a repeat of Saturday, only warmer. We all got a little bit of sun for sure!

Saturday night Dave's parents watched the kids while we went out to dinner which was really nice. We left around 6, ate, and really didn't have anything else to do so went back to his mom and dad's. On the way home, we passed an Irish pub, and Dave asked if I wanted to stop in for a nightcap. I just burst out laughing. Seriously? A night cap? It was 7:45 and not even dark yet! Oh my. We're old.

Sunday night Dave projected a movie outside, which was a lot of fun. Then Monday, more pool time in the morning and we headed back on home to relax and get the kids ready for their last 7 days of school. (Yikes!! What am I going to do!)

Some pics... Ava just loved the water. She spent upwards of two hours at a time just hanging out, until it was naptime or eating time! I guess she has no choice but to love the water... what would she do in our family?

The boys spent a ton of time "going on an adventure," which consisted of them donning their snorkel gear and fins and heading out on the "Snorkel boat."

Here's Abby just hanging out. She'd sit and lay with me for awhile, the go to Dave who would throw her up in the air. I think she's getting a little too big for him now, though. He can't throw her quite as high! We also got some new rafts, too, like the one Abby's in. The kids just loved them, and they served as everything from lounging rafts and adventure boats to circus rings and diving surfaces.

And now back to the real world. I just can't believe summer is a week away (kids are done next Wednesday). I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. Hopefully, we'll all have as much fun all summer as we did Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment