Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day is my new favorite holiday!

Memorial Day is years past has really just been a day off. But this one? This weekend? It's been the best ever!

First, my true Memorial Day story. We went to dinner at a true Wisconsin bar/supper club on Saturday, and there was an older gentleman eating there with three older ladies, and the man was wearing an "I fought in WWII" hat. So, before we left, I had the kids go up to him (we were sitting right next to him) and tell him Happy Memorial Day! He then told us that he served under Patton, from the Battle of the Bulge to Czechoslavakia. Wow! I couldn't imagine. I said he must have the stories to tell, but he said nah, he was too young to remember (he was 19). He just thought he was out to see the world. At that time, Max was getting a little restless, so I took the kids out and Dave was talking to him. The guy said that Saving Private Ryan was a good movie, but it was inaccurate. I think Dave would have talked to him forever if he could have. Very interesting! So, for all of you who have fought in any war, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Desert Storm, Iraq or any other, and to the families of all, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY and THANK YOU!! It's a sacrifice I wouldn't be willing to make.

The rest of Memorial Day was just filled with beginning of summer things. Friday, we had a company come out and put concrete edging around our house and I love it! Dave's parents also helped plant azaleas and hostas, Dave planted a lilac and another bush, we dug up sod for the kids to plant a flower garden, I put in some creeping phlox, and now all we need is a ton of mulch to fill in everywhere! It looks really nice, and I'm excited. I've already mowed the lawn this year instead of Dave, which I actually enjoy. It's funny... now that I have time, I'm actually enjoying yard work and don't think I'll kill anything. Last year at this time, I wasn't yet done with work and the prospect of planting, mowing, weeding, watering or anything else just made me tired. This year I think I'll actually like it!

We also put our boat in the water this weekend. First time in three years! Yeah!!! The kids loved it, and even though it was a little chilly, they still jumped in the water. More power to 'em! I don't think I will even when it's the middle of summer. But, I'm excited just to have the boat close and docked, so we can go out on a moment's notice and only stay for a short time and not feel like it was a wasted trip.

Another Memorial Day weekend thing... we camped! Ok, just kind of. Our neighbors camp at the same place where we put our boat, so we stopped there to hang out with them. Campfire, kids running through the woods, bugs. It was nice to visit, but I don't see us being a camping family anytime soon! All the work packing it up an cleaning it all? Not for me! Then last night, Abby slept in their camper too. (Nolan tried, but just got too tired and came to his own bed instead.)

And, essential to Memorial Day, we relaxed, kids played, those who could, drank and we had a cookout. What gets any better than that? It's nearly full on summer and I'm EXCITED! I can't wait for Abby to be done with school, no more schedules, just relaxing and enjoying the days. I'm going to look forward to Memorial Day every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment