Thursday, January 29, 2009

DC Rocks Part 2

Ok, ok, so we're not still in DC. We came home Monday, and then real life starts and blogging gets pushed aside! The rest of the trip was really great. On Sunday we went to the Holocaust Museum, and I highly recommend it for anyone, but just prepared for it to be very emotional and heavy (that's probably obvious, but still...). I was ready for the images and the brutality--I've seen enough shows that have been graphic enough not to be shocked by that. But the whole thing is layed out amazingly, starting with the years prior to the holocaust and ending with how it was all handled at the end. Through it all, there were a few things that amazed me...
1) It just wasn't that long ago. I mean, I knew when it was, but I just am apalled to think it was just a generation ago.
2) The US (and others) responded horribly. We wouldn't take many Jewish immigrants (using much of the same reasons as today--they'll take our jobs, we don't want to desicrate our racial relations, etc.). We even went so far as to turn down a bill accepting 20,000 Jewish children (who later died in the camps) and turned away a boat that was at our border and made them go back to Germany. The museum did a great job pointing out that in places like Denmark, where the citizens helped the Jewish condemned, only 1 in 10 were killed. In other places, like Germany, it was 1 in 2.

3) They had a children's area where you followed one Jewish boy through it all, and the statistic they gave was that the number of children who died was equal to one school disappearing, every day, for eight years.

4) Finally, at the end, they had a theater with survivors talking about an experience they remembered most. I was actually fairly in control of myself until this point. I was watching and this man came on talking about being in the camp. He was working (meaning, shoveling dead bodies into pits to burn) alongside a friend of his, and his friend's mouth was constantly moving. The man asked him what he was doing, and his friend answered that he was praying and thanking God. The man knew that morning prayers were over, and that nighttime prayers were hours away yet, and couldn't imagine what his friend could possibly be thankful for. When he asked his friend in astonishment how he could be constantly praying a prayer of thanks, the friend answered, "I am very thankful that God did not make me like the murderers." Thinking about the story still brings tears to my eyes... I mean, but for the grace of God go I. What would any of us do, if raised to believe that blue eyes, blond hair was better? If all we knew was the German Reich? I'd like to believe I wouldn't do it, couldn't do it. But I also hope I never have to find out.

After the museum we walked past the National Mall, and it was just really neat to think of all the activity there the previous week. Thinking of Obama and family getting settled into the White House, all the preparations of housekeepers, butlers, chefs, everything to transition. It truly is amazing. Then we went back to Brian and Tammy's, where Tammy and I promptly watched a Lifetime movie and napped and Dave and Brian went grocery shopping, and then they and Al, Brian's brother, made dinner for us. Can't be beat! The vacation was truly a great mix of out to eat, seeing a few sights, wonderful conversation, friends, games and naps. And, since Brian and Tammy have a very nice pool, I think another trip, in warmer weather, is a certain guarantee!

Some pics of the trip... Here's all of us in Brian and Tammy's house--Brian showed me how to use my camera timer. Love it!


The White House in the background...


The curved building next to the red brick one is the Holocaust Museum.


Since we were walking past, why not a picture?


And finally, the kids at the Oasis. They were pretty funny on those chairs, and were GREAT at Dave's parent's house. The nice thing is that I feel comfortable leaving them, knowing that they'll have a fun time.


And that's it! We came back on Monday, and on Tuesday at 5:30, Dave left for a trip and comes home today. That's they way of it all! Hope everyone else had a great weekend, too; and, come to think of it, a great week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a moving experience the Museum was, clearly! I did visit it when I was interning in DC and actaully got a tour where they pointed out things I would not have even noticed as all the content was so overwhelming.
I was, however, impressed that all the design, like the cold colors, grey and brown; the light fixtures [replicas of the lights in the camp]; the gates and coralling of the guests. Also, that they have you come in and pile [crowded] in a cold elevator to enter the exhibition--to somewhat replicated what the poor prisioners experienced.
I have to say, I was just as moved/impacted at the museum as I was visiting the Auschwitz.
I am glad you got to visit it!

Post a Comment