Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Not my proudest mommy admission

From the moment Max wakes up, I count down the hours until he's back asleep again. Maybe not even the hours. The minutes. Seriously. When he sleeps in, I'm so grateful in the morning, but then I just know naptime will come late. When naptime comes and he takes a great nap, I'm so happy. But then when he wakes up, I just know bedtime will be late. That little kid does not stop. Ever. Tonight he threw a candle off the table. I cleaned it up. He dumped goldfish (the crackers, fortunately!). I cleaned them up. He spilled juice. I cleaned it up. I brought toys to the basement. He brought them up. I think 90% of my day consists of cleaning up something he just did. Did I share what he did last week? Either way, it's worth sharing again... he flushed Dave's wedding ring down the toilet. Yup, just got it off the sink while Dave was shaving, dropped it in the toilet, and WHOOSH! Down it went. Whatever it is, he's in it, on it, under it, spilling it, stepping in it. This, THIS, is what I expected when I started to stay home with the kids. Luckily I know it's temporary. And on the upside, considering he can bring the ladder anywhere he wants, get things out of the fridge, and refuses help on anything, at least in the next year, he'll be the most independent, self-sufficient kid ever! (Hey Max, mix me a drink, get me some chocolate!)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who commented and emailed me their support for this new baby. Considering Max's current temperment, I'm a little scared. Nicole, you're the best for offering to do my summertime drinking, but you may have to fight Dave on that. I have a feeling he'll be doing a lot of drinking between now and then! And Jenny, I hadn't even thought of having to change my blog name and masthead. Geez, this kids a lot of work already!

Happy mid-week everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh. Max is Mark's kind of kid! He's just so happy that you guys got a "real" kid in Max!

Jennifer Fink said...

Phew -- now I don't feel so bad that I count down the hours til Sam sleeps! :)

Jenny

Post a Comment