Sunday, May 22, 2011

4/9

Today is the last day of my fourth week of training for a marathon. Have I told you I'm training for a marathon? Probably not. I'm a little afraid of saying it outloud. What if I don't do it. And I haven't actually signed up yet. But I do know the date, and I have printed out the registration form, and I even know the half-marathon I will run two weeks prior, in preparation. I think I can do it. This week I ran 3 miles on Tuesday, 4 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and 9 on Saturday. It felt good. Except when it didn't. And when it was over.

Sundays are cross-training days, so instead of running, I'm supposed to do something else for an hour. The past few weeks have been swimming, but today I took Abby roller blading. I forgot how fun that is, and I also forgot that I have no idea how to stop. The first wipe out, we were coming up to a cross street and I started slowing down. I could tell I was going to take a fall, so I steered myself to the side, went down the little ditch and went face first into the grass. I was laughing so hard, mostly because I was embarassed that I did it in front of a gaggle of boy high school track kids running. Someday they'll be old, too. I got up, brushed myself off, and we kept going. Then Abby decided she wanted to take a break on a bench. She made it no problem. As I slowed down and made my way to the bench, I was almost there when my feet went out from under me and I landed, hard, right on my bottom. I think I must have shrunk at least an inch from my vertebrae all being compressed together. I seriously didn't think I was going to be able to get up. But, fortunately, after a minute or two of sitting there, all was better and we kept going. Now, I have a nice huge bruise starting on my right cheek, and I am very sore. But, it was fun, and worth it. I like that Abby's getting big enough to do this stuff with!

I also like that tomorrow, Monday, is a rest day in my training schedule!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

let us all know when it is so we can be at the finish line cheering for you! you can do it!

xo, Nicole

Stacy said...

How exciting! You'll do great.

Post a Comment