Monday, March 8, 2010

A match made in, well, you know...

I think I've mentioned before that every now and again, I bring communion to an assisted living facility by my house. It's nothing I ever really thought I would do, but when the bulletin asked for people from Jackson to do it, I couldn't say no. I mean, it's going to the church I'd go to anyway, getting communion, and then taking 20 minutes longer to stop literally on my way home to give it. What's more, since I couldn't attend the training, I got signed up only for the fifth Sunday of every month (maybe four or five times a year) and as a substitute, and I kind of to the administration/coordination of it. Easy enough. Well, when I was at the facility last weekend, a woman was asking me if they'd ever get a priest to come to say real mass. Her listening to it on TV just isn't the same. And I immediately thought of my grandma (Nana). We couldn't go to her house during certain times, or had to be quiet, because she was listening to mass on TV. Well, it turns out the woman at the nursing home had been a teacher for 20 years at the catholic grade school in Hartford, and really wanted to go back to mass there. And me, deciding it didn't matter what church I went to, offered to take her. And when I asked her what her name was? It was Dorothy... Nana's name. And as we were driving yesterday to mass and she was talking about her family? Her youngest daughter is named Jill. I was pretty amazed to say the least.

1 comment:

Jennifer Fink said...

Awwww! You are a good, good person, Jill.

Post a Comment