Monday, February 21, 2011

The work!

On Saturday, I warned the kids that we wouldn't go to the hotel until all their homework is done. For Nolan, this was easy. A worksheet that could have taken him 5 minutes if he concentrated, but ended up taking him 10.  A book, which took him maybe 3 minutes, and another book, which probably took him 10 minutes. Nothing too strenuous for sure.

And then there's Abby. We've been trying to make it so that her homewok gets done, little by little, all week long instead of all during the weekend. I mandated at least 45 minutes of homework every night, plus 15 minutes of reading. We did that. And then, Saturday night, she did her math for an hour, and then I sat with her and helped her for 2 more hours. And that was just to get through the packet that is due on Tuesday (would be today, but they didn't have school today), and not the extra packet, or the test ready packet, or the just for fun packet. (She knows the names of all these packets. I make it up as I go along.) Some of it is stuff she knows easy, but the work around it takes forever. Instead of just writing out division problems, she has to draw 6 rocket ships, with a total of 54 windows and figure out how many windows are on each. She knows it's 9, but then needs to still draw them! And the 8 start with 5 points each, and the 9 flowers with a total of 63 petals on them, and... well, I'm sure you get the picture. It feels like busy work and I hate to make her do it all, but yet, how can you not? It's homework. The most I can do is sit with her and try to make it fun. It's not.

I wonder if she's fooled?

No comments:

Post a Comment