Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Walmart experience

Lots of people I know don't go to Walmart, and haven't for many years. I give them credit for living their lives, standing up for what they believe in. But me? Anywhere I can stop and get, eggs, jeans for Nolan and diapers, and not worry that I'm paying too much, I'm all about! But there is always a certain experience when you go to Walmart, and that experience is only heightened if you happen to go on a Friday night. Usually, it's the shoppers that offer the experience, their clothes, the way they talk, on a Friday night they're usually just crazy. But when I stopped last Friday after work, it was the employees giving me the experience.

I needed a few things when I stopped in, but I also wanted to check out the Wii game Pacman Party. We rented it through Redbox the other day, and the kids loved it, including Max who could actually play it. I hate being home with him and him wanting to play Wii, but not actually able to play anything, so this one was perfect. I had to hunt someone down to help me, and when I got someone, he was very much your stereotypical Walmart worker--overweight, sloppy dressed, not very well groomed. I asked him to get out Pacman Party, and then another game called Smash something. The conversation that followed went like this:

Me: Do you know anything about this game?
Him: No, not really.
Me: I'm looking for a game for my 3-year-old to play, and know he can play Pacman, but I'm not sure of this one.
Him: Skip all this and buy him a Leapter.
Me: He has one, but likes to play Wii with his older brother and sister.
Him: Read him a book.
Me (mouth gaping open): I'll take this one, thanks.

I finished my shopping and went to check out. Checking out at Walmart is always a gamble. My mom looks at the checkers instead of the length of the line, which is good advice. I got in a short line and could nearly immediately tell that was a mistake. But the lady was nice enough as she was checking me out. One of the things I was buying were collage picture frames that go on our wall because I knocked some off the other day and broke them. The conversation that followed went like this:

Her: These are nice.
Me: Thanks. Unfortunately, I broke our other ones so I needed new ones.
Her: How did you break them?
Me: I tried taking too much laundry down the steps at one time and hit them off the wall.
Her: Well, things happen for a reason.
Me: Yeah, we needed new pictures in them anyway.
Her: Last week I was at the grocery store and passed out. Things really do happen for a reason, my boyfriend tells me, because I was somewhere where I got help. I mean, help at the store, but I'm also going through a bad divorce, and I needed help, both medical and emotional help. So me passing out there really did happen for a reason.
Me: I'm glad that worked out for you. Have a great weekend.

I must have the "yes, please tell me everything about you" look on my face at any given time!

Hope your weekend is a good one. I'm anxiously awaiting the game... GO PACK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment