Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Too much talking, not enough reading

Last night I commented to Dave that Ava is my favorite. At least, she will be until she can talk, and then I'm sure it will switch. I know, I know, that's not very nice to say, and I know, I know, it will all go so fast. Someday it will be too quiet, they won't want to talk to me, I'll wish for these days back. And I don't doubt for a second that that's true. But really? There are days when I just need them to be quiet. When I can't answer another question, hear another story or try to decipher any more words. It's loud in our house, and some days I feel bad that I'm just tuning everyone out, not really listening. But, I think it's my defense mechanism. If I couldn't tune it out, then I'd really be in trouble!

Besides the noise level, I do miss individual time with the kids. It's really hard to read with them, either all together or one at a time. Abby has to read for school 15 minutes a night, so I probably read with her the most, but really she usually just reads by herself for her time. And poor Nolan, he can't read the books he loves yet, and I just don't have the wherewithall (how do you spell that??) at the end of the day to read with him. Especially if Max isn't sleeping, and Ava is eating! Dave keeps talking about wanting to read Harry Potter with the kids. It's a good thought, and I would love it too, but...

This four kids business, it's hard!

1 comment:

Jennifer Fink said...

All right, I'll be with you on this parenting-four-is-hard stuff, but I'm not going to let you get away with that as an excuse not to read them Harry Potter. If I can read the entire Harry Potter series outloud, so can you!

(Of course, this may have something to do with my parenting style, 'cause you KNOW I'd rather sit on the couch and read a book than play cars!)

Post a Comment