Thursday, April 24, 2008

What is THAT???

Yesterday, when I stayed home with Max, I walked the kids to school. So, naturally, I didn't want to take a shower beforehand, knowing full well that I'd get all sweaty and yucky by the time I got home. But as I was brushing my hair, something crazy happened. I saw (gasp!), right there where my hair is parted (oh no!), gray hair!! And it wasn't just one, it was several. I've never been one to care much about age (because really, anyone who knows me knows I've been old my entire life), but looking in the mirror aged me more than quitting any job, chasing after any kid or paying any mortgage. It's no wonder that once they start they just keep on coming... you worry so much about that first one that more follow suit!

But of course, just when I start blowing things out of perspective, something happens to put it right back in place. I was going through the binder that Abby brings home from school every day and there was a note in there from her principal. A little sibling of one of the kindergarteners passed away suddenly. Out of respect for the family's privacy, they didn't tell us who it was, which kindergarten class it was or what happened, but they wanted us to know because some of the kindergarteners may have found out and may exhibit anxiety. What do you do with that information? Before bed I asked Abby if anything sad has happened to any of her friends lately. She thought and thought and said "Well, I was trying to play on the monkey bars today and the third grade girls were mean. They told me to stop following them and I said I can do what I want." Not quite what I was looking for. Then she said "Ethan was being chased by a bunch of older boys and he told them to stop FIVE times but they wouldn't so he told a grown up. The grown up said to stop, but then they started doing it again later. If someone is doing something you don't like, say NO and tell a grown up. Mrs. Borst (the guidance counselor) taught us that, I didn't just know that." It turns out that kindergarten can be a rough place. But, I am eternally grateful that, at least for tonight, that's the extent of her worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment