Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What I won't miss

Max is sick. Poor kid I think is just trying to push through his second top tooth and he's really struggling. He drools, then coughs, then a runny nose, then an earache and a fever. What a downhill battle! I picked him up early from daycare today with a temp of 103. He was fine after some medicine, but I bet it will be a long night for us both, as was last night (Dave's in NY).

Of all days this week, Wednesday was the busiest. I had a breakfast meeting in the morning, a leadership team meeting, two one on one meetings, a lunch meeting and a speaker to go listen to. Usually when one of the kids was sick before, it would be a mad scramble to reschedule everything and get everything done, especially when the rest of my week would look the same way. Then I would work from home, while taking care of a sick kiddo, and feel slightly mad at daycare for not wanting to watch my sick kid.

This time, though, it was much easier! I picked Max up and actually felt bad for him intstead of just trying to figure out exactly what I needed to do. I cancelled or rescheduled everything and didn't really feel bad about it. If I could have done that three weeks, months or years ago, I probably wouldn't have had to quit!

There's still no plan for my replacement at work yet (I know, I'm irreplaceable). There are a couple of options, but I'm not sure if any of them will work or not. And I still may consult. It sounds like a good deal, and hard to turn down, but I'm still not quite sure. It would be about 10 hours a week, I think, with one day (or afternoon) in the office. I'm open to any opinions here!

Hopefully I'll be able to update tomorrow with good news on Max...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jill - as your friend and fellow ex-DS'er, I say DON'T DO IT! You know as well as I do that they will expect WAY MORE from you than what they are telling you now, and will make you feel guilty as heck when you can't live up to their crazy expectations. Don't let them forget why you ultimately made this decision - for your kids, your family, your sanity! The kids are only going to be young for a short time, before you know it they will be in school all day long and you'll have to practically pull their teeth out to get so much as a "hi" out of them. It's already happening with Noah and he's only going to be 7! It's the most challenging, frustrating, stressful, chaotic, but ultimately the most rewarding thing you will ever, ever do!

Post a Comment