Thursday, January 30, 2014

New York Nolan

Another email I found... I don't think I've documented it anywhere else. It's Nolan's trip to NY when he was 5 months old...

I got up at 3 on Saturday to get ready to go, and left around 4. All went pretty well. We got through the airport with no problem, although lugging everything and him isn't so easy. He did great until we got on the plane. I don't think he liked the closed in area, because then he started to cry. Plus he was tired so that didn't help. The seating on the plane was two and two, and there was a guy next to me. When everyone got on there were seats open so I moved to the very back. Right before takeoff, though, the flight attendant came and told me I couldn't sit there--they try to keep those open for weight distribution. She wasn't very friendly or helpful but whatever. I moved up to the second row, and Nolan was screaming. After about 5 minutes he stopped though and fell asleep. He slept most of the flight, with a little bit of crying here and there but not bad.

Renee came and picked me up from the airport and we went back to her house. Her new house is really nice--3 bedrooms, dining room, hardwood floors. We got all settled and headed out for the day. We ate at a really cute Greek restaurant and Nolan just sat and looked around. We walked around Astoria (where Renee lives) and then took the subway into Manhattan and walked around 5th Avenue and shopped some. I got a really nice Suede coat for $79 at Syms! Then we went to mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral at 5:30 and headed home after that. Nolan was good all day, and went between the backpack carrier and the front carrier. He sacked out when we got home, and we just hung out Saturday night and watched a movie.

On Sunday we got up, grabbed a bagel and took the subway into Brooklyn and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. Nolan fell asleep in the backpack on and off all day. He did fairly good in it, but didn't like it as much as Abby did. (He's also a lot younger.) After that we walked through South St. Seaport, which is really nice. They have a display of apples (kind of like the cows) and so those were fun to look at. Then we walked to Ground Zero. It looks like a great big construction site. It was interesting to see, but really not all that moving or exciting or sad. From there we went to eat at a brewery (pumpkin ale, yum!) and then went to Times Square. It took us awhile to get there because a lot of roads were closed for movie shoots. When we got there, it was just getting dark out, and Nolan's eyes were huge! He loved looking around at everything and couldn't get enough. It was really funny to watch him! Then we went into Toys R Us Times Square, and he loved looking at that too. People were laughing at him because his eyes were so big and he was so interested in everything! We walked around Times Square for awhile, but the Nolan started to get fussy, so we headed back home. Nolan fell asleep on our way, and he was easy to get down once we got home. We just ordered in Japanese noodles and watched part of a movie before we sacked out.

On Monday we went into Central Park and walked around. We went into Central Park Zoo, which has an excellent Children's Zoo and then a regular zoo. It was small, but really neat. All the exhibits were excellent, with several places to view the animals. I don't think there was any exhibit where you couldn't see something. They didn't have elephants or giraffes or anything, but they had a lot of different animals that you don't see at a lot of zoos, so it was really good. Then we went home to get my stuff all together and ready for the airport. It was funny because we got ice cream on the way home, and Nolan kept trying to eat mine. I finally gave him some and he couldn't get enough! He would stick his tongue out when I put my cone next to him, and then he'd shove his whole face in. He was a mess, but it was cute. When we got back, I got all my stuff together, and then Nolan started crying, and screaming. He screamed to the airport, and all through check-in. The guy told me to keep my car seat so that he could sit in it, and really wouldn't let me check it. So, at this point I had to carry my pump, the backpack carrier with the diaper bag, Nolan and the car seat. Nolan continued to cry all through security (where they had to inspect my pump... they always do!) and then about 5 minutes after we got to the gate, he finally stopped crying and fell asleep. I put him in the car seat, and he slept until we landed! Then I gave him part of a bottle, and he went back to sleep and didn't wake up all through the walk to the car or the drive home or when I put him to bed. He woke up at 5 the next morning, and I think he was happy to be in his own crib!


All-in-all the trip was great. We saw a lot of stuff and did a lot of walking, so it was really fun. Next time, I think I'll go without kids though. It would be nice to see a show, or go out for a nice relaxing dinner or something like that!! Maybe I'll take both kids back, with Dave, in 10 years or so. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment