Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pirates and Birdies, same thing

When Nolan was 9 months old, and Abby was just over 2, we took them to Michigan for vacation. We rode the ferry over, stayed in a cabin, and walked the sand dunes. Besides getting in the middle of the dunes and realizing that Abby couldn't walk back so I had to put her in the front carrier (at two! Do you know how heavy that is??) while Dave carried Nolan (no easy feat while hiking through the sand), the one thing I remember is what Abby came back saying. To everyone, neighbor, relative, me, everyone, she told them, "Birdy ate my fry!" When the follow up questions came, "The birdy ate your fry?", she always responded, "Birdy ate my fry!" (We were on the beach eating McDonald's and the seagulls came. She threw them fries. Therefore, Birdy ate my fry!)

Why am I telling you this story now, you might ask? Because Ava is on a similar kick. Two weekends ago, Alina took Ava to Pirate Fest in Port Washington. Before they went, Alina told me a little about it, so I knew they were going to brunch where the Pirates steal your food. When I saw Ava, I asked if the pirates stole her food, to which she replied, "Pirates stole my food!" (She did say that... I may have been the only one to understand, but I know she was saying that!)  To anyone who asked, she was exasperated at the pirates who stole her food. But it was ok, because she still had pineapple to eat, so all was well. But "The pirates stole my food!" It was amazing, because it was just like Abby seven or more years ago. It's amazing how they can be so much alike, how one memory can elicit another from so many years ago.

Have you seen a cuter pirate? I don't think so!
 Hey, that's mine!
 Getting the pirate some "rum". Clearly she's done this before. Her daddy taught her well.
 Yo ho ho!


No comments:

Post a Comment