Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pants on fire

There's no good way to put this... Abby is a liar. We've tried curbing it through conversations or a good talking-to, but sometimes it just doesn't work. Today, case in point. We were at my mom and dad's with my sister and her fam, and my three-year-old niece came up crying. Through the sobs we heard "Abby sob sob door sob sob." It was enough for me to piece together something. When Abby came up I asked her what happened, and she looked at me big-eyed and said "I don't know." I asked where Erin was playing. She didn't know. Where were you playing? Nowhere near Erin, apparently. Question after question and nothing. I actually started to believe her and she went downstairs to play. Then my nephew said they were hiding in the bathroom. Ah, jackpot. Playing with doors. We've told her a million times not to do it, and apparently she was worried that, even though I know it was an accident, she would be in trouble so she lied. When we confronted her again, she broke down and admitted it. And cried, and cried, and said she was sorry. But this time, not enough. She got an early bedtime, which almost killed her on a Saturday night, since Nolan gets to stay up late now and play Wii with just Daddy. But she did see a silver lining... "If I go to bed early, I'll be the first one up!"

I mostly know when she's lying. I mean, my mommy instinct kicks in. But today she almost had me fooled. What will I do when she gets bigger? When the lies aren't about accidental things but big things? I don't want to be one of those parents who blindly believe their kids on anything... "I wasn't at that party." "I would never do that, mom." Or any other of a million lies that anyone of us told our mothers. (Except for me, of course, mom!!) It's scary, scary business.

And for those of you who've been dying to know... when Max goes to bed at 4:30 in the afternoon, he sleeps until 3:30 AM! Yup, that was fun. I actually thought he was going to fall back asleep in my bed, but then hunger won out and we had to come down to get something to eat. (Understandable since his two-year-old belly hadn't eaten since lunch.) Then we went up to bed until 4:30 and then came down and watched a movie. Abby got up at 5:30, and then just when I needed to start getting ready for the day around 6:00... Max fell back asleep. Are you kidding me?? Luckily, he slept until about 7:15, then got up and got ready. And believe you me, he had a nap that day. And you know what? So did I!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hello, Just bloghopping. Great blog!

Be Well :)

Ruth said...

When you say playing with doors, what do you mean? Also, I don't have any insights, but I do enjoy reading your blog.

Post a Comment