Sunday, March 1, 2009

Salt clay, anyone?

Ok, I was feeling bad last week because my routine lately has been to take the boys to the Y
in the morning for Nolan's preschool, or have Nolan's friend David and his mom and brother come over and play in the morning, and then in the afternoon "let" Nolan watch TV or play Wii while I rest (read: sleep... Dave, don't read this!). So the other day, after 30 minutes of watching TV, Nolan wanted to make a clay snake that he saw in a magazine. There was a recipe, we had the ingredients, I had time if not the energy, so I just couldn't say no. After all, it looked easy enough...

Look how happy that kid is, and that snake looks easy enough. So, we mixed in the cup of salt, the two cups of flour, and the water and oil and stirred it all up. And stirred and stirred, but it didn't get doughy, just kind of runny. I thought maybe it would help to dump it out on some aluminum foil and use our hands. Nolan dug right in, and immediately started crying "My finger! My finger!" What? So I started to play with it and quickly realized that every crack and fissure in my dry, dry hands was now covered with salt and BURNING!! No wonder Nolan was crying! So, I told him to go wash his hands whileI kneaded it some more and added more flour, which in turn made it... More sticky!

YUCK!

But isn't Nolan getting good at taking pictures?

Here's a peak at what the snake kind of turned out like.

Nice, huh? I don't have final pictures, but after this, we baked it for an hour, where it got somewhat hardened, then Nolan painted it blue. The next day, he played with it for about 47 seconds, it broke in half, he cried, we threw it away. And that's all we'll ever talk about salt clay again! That's what I get for trying to find some energy for CRAFTING! Oh well.

Since that didn't work, Nolan wanted to take pics of me with the light sabre (saber?). I wasn't supposed to smile. So this turned out attractive, don't you think?
How about this one?

No? I just can't wield a weapon like these boys can:
In case you don't recognize these ninjas, they're Nolan and Kyan across the street.
On a completely different topic, it truly pays to wait to have a baby until you're a little older. I got more maternity clothes than I could ever use from Stacy, and Joe at work gave me all of his baby stuff since they were done. It includes car seats with bases, a high chair, exersaucer, bumbo seat, bouncy chair, swing, everything! It was so nice, and it's really nice not to have to re-buy everything. Even Max liked the deal... here he is trying everything out. This baby doesn't stand a chance!

I had a great weekend this weekend, but it went entirely too fast. My mom and dad (Gram and Grumpy) were here Friday, and then my dad went to my sister's and my mom and I went to a Women of Christ conference on Saturday. The morning was a little rough with the speakers, but the presenters in the afternoon were entertaining, poignant and truly left us with great things to think and talk about. After that we celebrated mass with Archbishop Dolan, who will soon be heading to the diocese of NY, and is really a great speaker and leader in his own right. Even his sermon got three rounds of applause! Then mom and I headed to dinner and home, where we stayed up until 3 AM chatting. I was tired today, but luckily Dave let me catch a nap on the couch after lunch. But, I still think I'll hit the sack early tonight. Hmmm, maybe now. 8:30 sounds like a great time!
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment