Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I missed her today







Last year's first day was by far more emotional, with both of us crying as I walked out the door. It didn't help that it was also Max's first day at daycare and my first day back at work. That feels like it couldn't possibly be a year ago. But after that first day, it was all ok and not any different than summer. For me there was no adjustment. I continued to drop her off and pick her up at the school aged care program at the school, same way I did all summer long. But now... Now I got used to having her at home. She kept Max busy, played with Nolan, ran the house. There were no tears from her or from me this year, but within the first hour of dropping her off, Max climbed in his umbrella stroller backwards, tipped it over, and got a bruise on his forehead. I bet that wouldn't have happened if she were here. Even Nolan seemed a little lost without her. And when she got home, she told me her first day in first grade was cool. Not a problem, not a tear. Her teacher even mistakenly wrote Abigail on everything instead of Abby, and Abby told her she thinks she'd like to be called Abigail. That's a lot of growing up in just one day. But I guess, if forced to pick, I'm happy that she's happy, and not missing me as much as I was missing her.

No comments:

Post a Comment