Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Introducing... Buca!

Just over four years ago, we said goodbye to our Sadiegirl. It was certainly bittersweet. While we definitely loved her, our life was at a place where a dog was really hard. Max was just barely a year, Nolan not quite in school yet. Ava wasn't even a consideration. And, while we are certainly dog loving people, after we put Sadie down, I couldn't even fathom introducing a new poochie into our family. And other people who got dogs, I called them crazy.

Fast forward four years. Three kids in school and Abby and Nolan are (semi) responsible. Ava is three, so no babies or toddlers anymore. The kids have been dying for a dog and considering the influx we've had of unwanted four-legged critters, we decided to go for it. Dave took the kids to his parents house the day after Christmas, and I had to work. I had just a few meetings, so left a little early, just to "go check it out" at the humane society. And what I found was the cutest.puppy.ever. Half lab, half bulldog, and just all sorts of fun. At first I thought he was a she, because she was named Kelly (which I thought was Lily, but then realized I was wrong!). When they brought him out when I was taking him home and I called him a her, the worker said ummm, I think it's a boy. Whoops! That's taken a little getting used to. He's also from the south (apparently there are a ton of litters that come from the south?) and really doesn't like the cold and snow. At least when he does need to do his business, he's quick about it!

He came into work with me on Thursday, and was just loved by everyone, despite his chewing through an iPhone charger and peeing on the carpet! The kids came home Thursday, and they were so excited. We weren't sure what we were going to name him (Domino? Gunther?) and when Ava came in, she kept saying Awww, Buca! Here Buca! They were talking about that name as short for Sambuca, a black licorice liquor (of course!), and it stuck, so he's now Buca. Unfortunately, every one of the kids has now experienced the nippy razor sharp puppy teeth and Nolan has stepped in poop. He cried, I laughed. But they're getting better at saying, "No, Buca!" and pushing him down. And Abby and Nolan are getting good at pulling him off of Ava shen she runs through the living room and lays on the floor.

I don't have many updated pictures yet.I'll need to get some with him and the kids, but for now, here's the new baby!

He's allowed on one chair--this crazy spotted one. He just made himself right at home there, and kicks out whatever kid is sitting there.
 Think he's feeling comfy with us?
 Look at that face!

 With Peter, our adoption counselor.
 I could not let him stay in that cage.
We've had him one week now, and so far he hasn't wrecked anything by chewing, and we're not dying to send him back. I'll take that as a good sign that he'll be a part of our family for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment