Friday, September 2, 2011

That's what running will do for you!

Since the marathon, I haven't been able to walk very well on my left leg. And by "walk very well" I mean I look ridiculous when attempting to take any steps at all. So, Tuesday I went to see the orthopaedic doctor, and she really wasn't sure what was going on. My pain was in my left leg, mid-thigh. She thought I maight have a hip issue and the pain was referred from there. So, she ordered a bone scan to see what was going on.

This morning she called with the results... She first asked me how it felt. I said, "Better. I can put a little more weight on it." And she promptly said, "Don't." Apparently, I have a significant stress fracture in my left femur, and if I continue to bear weight on it, it could snap (effectively putting me in a full-body cast). Crutches and no weight bearing for 6 weeks, minimum.

But that wasn't all. Oh no... When I do it, I do it up right! I also have a stress fracture in my left shin, and either a fracture or arthritis in a toe on my left foot. AND a my right ankle doesn't look so good either. (I'm guessing that's mostly from a high school injury, but still...).

I can't help but laugh. What else can you do? The thought of crutches for 6 weeks makes me want to gag. But hey, it could be worse. And I did it. I finished the marathon. It was still worth it.

Maybe.

3 comments:

Jennifer Fink said...

Ouch, Jill! I'm sorry you're hurt, but I totally admire your persistence and dedication.

Holly said...

Jill, what a bummer! Obviously you are tough as nails to have finished the race in this condition. Make sure you're getting plenty of calcium and heal up soon!

Lisa Percy said...

Yikes!! I'm thinking that's a sign you should give up running and try rowing or biking and it's definitley telling me I've been doing the right thing by NOT running. :) LOVE seeing pics of your kids. They're SO big. I still have goals of starting a blog. Good for you to still keep up with it while you're working. Take care!

Post a Comment