Monday, September 15, 2014

Moments that live in infamy

There are certain moments in my life that I can play so vividly in my head that it feels like I'm transported back to that exact moment in time, experiencing those exact same emotions. The moment Ava's doctor told me her diaper rash wasn't getting better and that I'd need to take her to Children's for surgery was one moment. Another was when Dr. Lyon, Abby's pediatric orthopedic doctor, told me he didn't know if Abby had a bone infection or bone cancer. The words just simply took the breath right out of me. 

This happened again on the first day of school. Ava and Max were supposed to get off from the same bus. Off came Max, but no Ava. Called the school and she wasn't there. They called the bus company, talked to the teachers, still no Ava. I didn't completely panic until they said, "we think you should call the police." I simply lost it. I will forever remember where I was and that feeling. Then it was complete terror, and describing to them what she was wearing is something I hope to never do again. An hour and a half later she was located... Somehow she got on the wrong bus. I never hugged her so tight.

The bigs had a successful first day of school, leaving from the new house! They ride the same bus, and Nolan couldn't be more excited to be in a school with all of his baseball buds. And Abby gets to see all of her old friends, which she's very happy about. 
Abby and Nolan getting on the bus.
The littles getting ready to leave for their first day. I didn't get one of them getting on the bus, because their bus was so late we drove them to school. Clearly bus issues on day 1!
This was the picture I could see in my head posted on every single poster with the caption "Girl Missing." She is cute... I'd want to steal her too!

I did get a picture of her with her teacher, Mrs. Koller.
Max waiting in line. He has a new friend, Gavin.
And once the kids were at school... Dave and I celebrated! We didn't yet know Ava would get lost, of course.

These glasses were awesome. As was the beer. Mine was a grapefruit beer that I definitely want again.
Ava learning all about the police car. The policeman was very friendly, showing everyone all about the car. It's pretty amazing what they have inside there!
Where Max will come home one day...

Showing off their police stickers.

Of all the kids, Nolan was definitely the most worried when Ava didn't come home. His biggest fear is kidnappers, and it seemed that fear was coming true. He was doing his best to hold it together, and I was doing my best to keep it together for him, but when I had to call the police, that was it. I started bawling, then Nolan, then Abby. We were a sorry state the three of us!! I guess all's well that ends well, and we certainly have a story to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment