Monday, September 15, 2014

India Day 1. Or 2? Maybe 3?

I have no idea what day it is really. It was bizarre to leave home on Saturday morning, get on an airplane, sleep what should be overnight, eat breakfast on the plane, and then get off the plane what should be morning but it's really late Sunday night. Then wake up Monday morning, take another airplane to work in the morning, but work most of Monday before anyone I actually work with is awake yet. Does that make ANY sense at all?? (My body, while I got enough sleep, is really confused and it's clearly impacting my brain.)

The flight itself was great. Well, we got on the plane in Chicago, and then got off the plane in Chicago because of a technical difficulty. Then they fixed it so we got back on, flew to Newark, ran to board our Delhi flight and walked onto the plane. I had an aisle seat, but was feeling very generous when the guy next to me asked if I'd switch with his brother, who was in a middle seat. It actually wasn't too bad, and I watched a movie (Blended, which I thought was funny), ate some dinner (Indian vegetarian meal) and then slept for about 8 hours pretty much straight. I woke up, ate some breakfast and we landed. Not bad! We went to the hotel, checked in, and I slept for about another 8 hours. Got up this morning, boarded the flight for Pune (1 hour 40 minute flight), landed, came to the hotel and unpacked and took a 15 minute nap and headed to the office. I met some people at the office today, and tomorrow will be a great day of meeting others. Very excited for that.

My pictures today were just random. It's an odd dichotomy of haves and have nots. People living in shacks with 5 star hotels right behind them. Bizarre driving, not just on the wrong side of the road but also all over and everywhere. I have no idea how there aren't just accidents everywhere, but somehow they seem to figure it out.

They drive on the wrong side of the road. :) Also strange, at every hotel you need to go through a security check. They have a woman's booth and a men's, and they wave their wand to make sure you don't have anything explosive on you. All the cars get checked at the entrance of every hotel as well. I think I'm glad they do that, but it's scary too. There are mirrors on the ground so they can make sure there's nothing under the car as well.
 My room in Delhi at The Lemon Tree. It was little, but very nice.
 Random airport pics. The Delhi airport is new and very beautiful.


 The roads are simply jam packed. Crazy!
 The cruise ship shaped building is the Westin. The cows are grazing down in front.


 My room. :) From the bathtub you can see the TV. And the remote works through the glass window. Not that I did that or anything...

 The note Abby gave me before I left. I love it!! I miss them. They were all great when I left. Then Nolan started crying. Then Ava. Then Abby. I didn't see it but Dave texted me. Max is just in his own little world. They're so funny!
 Westin lobby.
 The dashboard of our driver's car.
  The cafeteria at the office. I love traveling with Amy, our VP of Operations, because she's like a star here! They made us our own lunch, brought us water and diet coke, plus snacks, several times a day. It was so funny, like having my own little waiter.
My "cabin"... otherwise known as an office.
 The general office.



 That's Amy. She was handing out chocolates to celebrate the ITC (India Technical Center). Did you know Kohler makes chocolates?

 This was my mid afternoon snack. Bread, with cucumbers and cream cheese, bread, tomatoes and cheese, bread.




Random driving pictures on the way back to the hotel from the office.




 School children...


 New buildings, surrounded by shacks.



That's about it for Days 1-3. Time to hit the sack! I'm watching a crazy movie called Warm Bodies, which actually turned out to be pretty good, but I'm guessing I won't be awake to see the end. Someone let me know if they exhume all the zombies!

No comments:

Post a Comment