Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Too close for comfort

Woman seriously injured, freeway closed after Washington County crash - 620 WTMJ - Milwaukee's Source for Local News and Weather

Yesterday on my way to work, there was an accident about a quarter mile up from me. Traffic really slowed, and I saw the first cop come. I saw him get out of his car and run to a flipped over SUV. Then I went past and didn't think about it too much.

Later that day, a guy I work with asked me how my commute was that morning. For him, it took three hours to get to work, and he lives near me. That's when I remembered the accident and looked it up. Apparently the entire highway was shut down, flight for life had to come, and the girl is in serious condition.

All leading me to wonder... what if I didn't come back inside because I forgot something? What if I were closer? What if I were 10 minutes later and I didn't get through? I'm sure she was just on her way to work and ended up in the hospital. It's just crazy the twists and turns of life!

TEXT OF STORY LINK:
WEST BEND - Authorities shut down lanes of U.S. 41/45 southbound in Washington County due to a three-vehicle crash where a woman had serious injuries.
The crash happened between the Holy Hill Road and Lannon Road exits around 7:20 a.m. Tuesday.
All three lanes had to be closed at the time of the crash. After about one hour to clean up the scene, those lanes were re-opened.
"The accident occurred in all three lanes of traffic," said Germantown Police Chief Peter Hoell to Newsradio 620 WTMJ's Jon Byman.
"The most serious damage and injury was the result of a rollover. (The driver) had to be extricated and transported (to a local hospital) via Flight for Life."
That driver, a 49-year-old woman, had injuries that authorities described as serious.
Two other people left the scene with what Hoell described as minor injuries.
Northbound lanes were closed so Flight for Life could land and assist the woman. Those lanes have been re-opened.
Germantown Police said later on Tuesday morning that a 23-year-old woman was driving in the center lane when she made what was described as an "unsafe lane change."
Her car went into the right lane and collided into a truck that a 60-year-old driver was operating.
Then, her car went into the left lane and struck another vehicle being driven by the 49-year-old woman. That woman's car rolled over.
Police said there were no passengers in any of the vehicles involved in the crash.
People were found standing outside their stopped cars on U.S. 41/45 southbound after the crash.
In the fall of 2011, someone lost their life along the same stretch of highway during a crash in the rain. That crash involved a semi and other vehicles.
"There's a curve, an incline and a pitch to it," said Hoell to TODAY'S TMJ4's Nick Montes. "When it's raining or snowing, you're not going straight and flat."

No comments:

Post a Comment