Friday, October 28, 2011

PTSD

Memories and senses are funny things. You know, how certain smells, sights, sounds remind you of being somewhere else? That's been happening to me a lot lately. The other day at work, someone mentioned the word Hospitatlity, which is one of the new markets we're entering, and I heard hospital. And the immediate flash in my head was when I was in the hospital with Abby, watching her wake up from surgery. Last week I made an appointment with my urologist for my regular kidney stone check-in, which is at Froedert, which is connected to Children's Hospital, the lady asked me if I would be parking in the parking structure. I immediately thought about walking across the walkway into Children's, having to show my parent badge at the check-in station. Then, this morning, I used a different foamy antibacterial gel before I left for work. It's the one we used to keep for our hands with all of Abby's medicine, wipes, syringes, etc. As I was driving in, I smelled it and immediately thought about giving medicine through her PICC line all those months.

It's been one year since Abby first complained about leg pain. Fortunately, she's recovered 100%. This path could have been so different, the memories invoking so much more. I'm more than blessed that they are good reminders of how lucky I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment