Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sometimes the cheese stays on the floor

The other night, we ate something for dinner with shredded cheese. Dave was traveling, so we ate, and then after dinner, the kids did homework, we had baths, hung out, kids went to bed and Ava got up. It's the way it works, which is good because Ava doesn't need much attention when the kids are still up. And then I can sit with her after they go to bed. But that cheese on the floor? It stayed there. In fact, it was there when I got up in the morning. I've decided that the morning is my chore time... it's when I do laundry, when I clean the kitchen, load the dishwasher, pack lunches, etc., all between 6:30 and 8:30 when the kids go to school, and then I hang out outside with Max while the weather is still nice. Dave always does everything at night and gets mad when I wait until morning. Me? I can deal with the cheese on the floor!

Everyone asks me how it's going, and I immediately think about the picture in my head of the messy kitchen and that cheese on the floor. And I always say it's going well. But there's just some days, ya know? Those weeks when Dave's gone more than he's home, when there's more activities scheduled than fit in my calendar square, when all the kids are sick, that all add up sometimes. This week is one of those weeks! Abby's come home from school early both yesterday and today because she doesn't feel well. Nolan wakes up crabby and doesn't want to go to school and is sick too. And Max has a horrible cough and runny nose and screams and screams (right, dad??). It's one of those weeks, and it's only Wednesday! But it's still good. I can smile about the cheese on the floor and look forward to the weekend.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Some days the cheese can wait and that's okay. We all leave "cheese" on floor occasionally. ;-)

Renee said...

You are amazing!

I don't think you are told that enough!

Post a Comment