Thursday, November 13, 2008

There's just no reasoning with them

I volunteered to work at the book fair at school tonight, while Dave's parents watched the kids for me. They took them to McDonalds, ran around, had a good time. I got home around 7:45, and the kids were clearly tired. Abby got a diary from the book fair, lock and all, and was trying to get her diary locked. The lock and key is so little, though, that between her six year old fingers and the fact that she was super tired, she couldn't get it locked. I showed her how, and then she wanted to do it herself but couldn't. Frustration was rising. Didn't want help, couldn't do it herself, wanted it locked before bed. By the time I made them go brush their teeth, she was in tears, sobbing the entire time. She asked me if she could try again, and considering her sobbing was getting worse and worse, I said no, she could try again in the morning. More sobs. I put Nolan to bed then came in her room to say goodnight and asked for hugs and kisses and she just sat there. I said what, no hugs and kisses? And she sobbed "It's just that I think you love Nolan more than me!" I had to stop myself from laughing outloud. Oh my, just a little drama! After assuring her of my love (still through her sobs) I said goodnight and went to put my pjs on. When I listened outside her door, she was still sobbing. I hate to have her go to bed like that, but I knew no words would calm her down. So, I stood outside her door until it was quiet, and then snuck in to give her a kiss where she was already fast asleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sweet! I wonder what the big secret was though....oh diary, you are the best at keeping secrets!

Post a Comment