Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pot roast, vagisil, and other spectacular things

If you had told me a year ago that I would have made pot roast for a Tuesday night meal, so we could all have a family dinner before I went to volunteer at the school book fair, I would have looked at you, laughed out loud and driven you to the nearest mental hospital to get you checked out. I mean, pot roast? I've never made one of those in my life. Yes, seriously, in my life. I would have suspected McDonald's or some other dinner plan would have been my go-to meal. And volunteering at the book fair? Please! While I love books, volunteering is just something that I never had time for. It's nice to be able to have pot roast done when Dave gets home, eat a peaceful meal (even with Abby screaming in the background that she doesn't like carrots, potatoes and pot roast) as a family and still have energy to run out the door for volunteer work. One thing though... don't tell Dave that my pot roast was with cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix. He thinks it had flour, gravy, rosemary... whatever! I may be becoming a house wife, but I'm still all about simple.

I was up putting clean clothes away today (wow, I'm domestic... yesterday I spent hours in the bathroom cleaning the hair and yucks off the baseboards and using toilet bowl cleaner and a toothbrush to get the yucks out of the jets in the bathtub) ANYWAY, I was putting clean clothes away when Max handed me a toothbrush and a tube of vagisil. The vagisil, which is kept with Abby's stuff in her bathroom drawer for no other reason than that girl is itchier than you can believe, apparently looks like toothpaste to Max. I just laughed. And now you know how it really goes around here during the day.

And, finally, last weekend I took the kiddos to Radio City Music Hall's Christmas Spectacular. And by kiddos, I mean Abby and Nolan because no way was I taking Max! Anyway, we went downtown and it was so much fun. The kids really loved it, and so did I. We went to Applebees for dinner (without Max, it's a rare treat these days) and just had a really good time. My only wish was that the show was about a month later since it's a little early for the Christmas spirit. Oh well... Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! (Which it did on Monday... traffic was already horrible and people in the ditch!)

Here's a blurry picture of the kiddos in front of the sign...

And a picture in front of the stage...



And finally one of Nolan smiling. Must be all those legs!

And afterwards we walked through the lit-up park...







On Sunday we had our "old" neighbors over for a Packer party. And by "old" I mean those neighbors we used to live next to in Mayville. Although, we did celebrate Bob's birthday, too, so I guess maybe age is appropriate, too!





While I go out with Jenny from Mayville somewhat regularly, we don't often get to see families. It's events like these that make you go wow, how fast time flies. When we met them, Nathan was 4, and was going to marry me for the first year we lived there. Now he's 10, and expert fisher, and so, so very polite and well-behaved (as were all four of her boys--great job Jenny and Marc!). And her other boys... Tyler was just 2 when we moved in and Adam and Sam weren't even born. Come to think of it, Sam wasn't even born when we moved out! And then there's Beth and Bob with Mike and Sara... Mike was only 12 and Sara was 8. Now they're planning a graduation party for Mike and Sara's in high school. It's just crazy! It was a houseful on Sunday, but all the kids were really great. The only person that needed to be watched was Marc, Jenny's husband, who apparently didn't hear the no throwing in the house rule and threw a ball at Nathan, and, when Nathan ducked, hit a picture and broke the glass! It was quite funny that will all the kids, the mess came from him.
Abby will be home soon, so off I go. Hope everyone's having a great week!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I have one word for you - CROCKPOT! I make pot roast in the crockpot all the time and it is sooooo good and tender. I just add water and onion soup mix and let it cook all day on low. Mmmm... I also make chicken and other stuff in it. The best invention ever!

Jennifer Fink said...

I can't wait to share this blog posting with Marc. Did you know that the DAY after we were at your house, I came home from aerobics to find my living room lights shorted out and ANOTHER glass part of the fixture broken?? Seems that my husband -- yes, my 36-year-old boy -- was giving Tyler "upside down time" and broke the light. Will he never learn?!??

And thanks, BTW, for the nice stuff about the kids. I'm going to have to bookmark this page and refer back to it when they threaten to make me absolutely batty!

Anonymous said...

So, did you let Max brush?!??!

Oh my those "terrible 2's" are a-comin! I never knew how mean I was until the tantrums started...if I was only not so strict and let Ben climb into the dishwasher to take out the knives, or walk around with a glass beer bottle in his mouth after he just fell on his face with a plastic bottle...I am the meanest mommy ever!
BTW, I am baking a PIE...yes, and apple pie! I just followed the directions on the Pilsbury pie crust box and so far...it smells great! :)


Oh, also, I still have the ticket stub for Wicked in my purse...I don't use that one often, but when I do, I remember what a great show that was! :)

Thanks for the laugh!

Post a Comment