Monday, December 4, 2017

And why the end of an era?

Dave and I have been debating for a few months... Dominican or no Dominican in 2018? We've gone a lot of years, and each year is awesome but somewhat frustrating. And plane tickets alone are expensive for our family of 6. And Dave hasn't been working since March. And Abby turns 16 in 2018 and I want to get her a car so she can drive everyone around. And the littles have a week of summer camp (the same week they'll be gone) so we're considering taking the bigs on a "real" vacay... Europe maybe? So all of that left us saying... maybe we don't go to Dominican next year. Which makes total sense, but also makes my heart hurt. I mean, Ava's never actually seen the sky in the US for spring break! And we all do so much separately, I just love the time together, all of us. Actually laughing and disconnecting. And two years. In two years, 2020, Abby will graduate. And then what? But then Dave got a job that he starts in January, and taking a week of vacation that soon, at the end of a quarter, likely isn't in his best interest. And flights are still expensive. So what's a girl to do?

Well... a girl is to still go on vacation. But different. I have now booked flights to Cancun over spring break (our timeshare has a resort there too). And Dave's not going. And my mom is coming with. I have no idea what to expect, and I'll be sad that Dave isn't there to enjoy it with us. And the Roehls are going to DR the same week, and I'll be sad that we're not hanging out with them. But I'm hopeful that we find a place that we can go that's closer, and a bit cheaper, but that we can still be together and in the sun and have good food (and drinks!). We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment