Sunday, August 16, 2015

D.C.

I don't really even know where to start with our trip to Washington D.C. To say it was the perfect vacation would be an understatement. Great friends? Check! Some tourist attractions? Check! Some of our nation's history, some fun family times, and relaxing by the pool? Check, check, and check!

It started out a bit bizarre because I ended up having training in Minnesota before heading out to D.C. So, Dave took the kids in the wee hours of the morning on Thursday, and I didn't get in until late Friday night. And, while I missed out those two days, I got to attend training with one of my favorite people from Direct Supply who used to be on my team. So, it wasn't all bad! But, I did miss them when I started getting pictures and I was stuck in a classroom...

From the airport...
 And then from the pool. I was really jealous here!
 Natural History Museum... it was just like in Night at the Museum! The quote I got with this picture was "Maybe the dingo ate your baby..."
 Someday, Ava.

 The National Mall is really cool.
 "I have a dream...!"
 And then some downtime too.
 On Sunday we took in an Orioles game. Camden Yard is just a really neat place to take in a ballgame. It was a little hot, and we did feel a bit baked in the sun in the outfield, but it was totally worth it. The kids all did amazingly well too, until the very end.

 Our hosts for the week... Brian and Tammy, and their kids Jack and Ellie. Brian's sister Martina was also there from Ireland, and we were happy to share the week with her... and happy they were all willing to let us share her week with them!


 Hello, Ellie!
 We also did a lot of Kinect Bowling. Too much fun! We ended up betting first on the grown ups (Martina was a shoe in... she works for Microsoft, and XBox!) and then the kids.
 Nolan and Ellie were the Imagination Bunnies...

 And they won!
 Well, hello Mr. Obama. We took a 4 hour tour of DC, and the rest of the kids got pretty tuckered, but Nolan just loved it. We talked about how big things happen in this city every day. We passed by restaurants and wondered who would eat there, making big deals. He was fascinated.
 He read every word in the Jefferson Memorial.
 One of our favorites was the newer FDR Memorial. It was all outside, and very kid-friendly. As well as fascinating!
 We talked about the Depression, and the people in line for work.
 Eleanor got her own part in the memorial too. I thought this quote was particularly moving... "The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much. It is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." It does make you wonder what progress we have made.
 Max loved this part!
 Nolan is clearly a MLK Jr. in the making.
 Lincoln Memorial is my favorite. It's just so amazing.
 And the Korean War Memorial is very humbling.
 I had three kids with me by the time we passed by Arlington. Nolan and Dave went off to explore further. I would love to go spend more time at Arlington. Just my short time there was very moving. But it was just through the bus window as Abby, Max and Ava were all sleeping.
 Oops... another baseball pic!
 On Tuesday Dave took Abby to the Holocaust Museum while I took the others to the National Building Museum. There they recreated the Beach. While I waited in line to get tickets, The kids built with legos. All three together!

 And then we headed to the Beach! It's a huge ball pit, basically. Here's Nolan...
 Ready, set, JUMP!
 It was hard to keep your head above "water."


 The kids played in it for hours. I was worn out after 30 minutes. Of course, I also had a dress on and kept getting balls where they shouldn't have been!
 Ava taking a break on a beach chair.
 Like all beaches, this one was a little busy too!
I was a little worried about Abby at the Holocaust Museum, but she did well. They've studied it at school, and she's read books, so she knew a little what to expect. They also saw the National Archive Museum (where Dave was thrilled to see the Declaration of Independence) and we also ate lunch at The Dubliner, one of the first authentic Irish pubs (and also where Dave and I have gone in visits past). From there... back to the pool! It was always fun to have a morning out in the heat, and then head "home" to the pool for the afternoon.

On our final day before heading to the airport, we went to the National Zoo, and got to take Jack along with us. It was a really neat zoo (I love zoos!) and while hot didn't disappoint.
 Look at the love!
 Lunch is always good...
 Jack and Ava... both first graders in the fall.
 The pandas! I love the pandas!
 And panda monitoring. Who would've thought?

 I love this picture!
 And then we headed home for some pool time before it was time to head out. Brian and Tammy surprised us with a shrimp and crab meal... so crazy good!



 Woah, that's a lot of crab! We were so messy, and really didn't want to leave. But, our plane called. We waited way too long to go and visit, but I already want to go back. Brian and Tammy are the best kind of hosts, and there's so much to see and do in DC. Perhaps this will need to be an annual Gawrych pilgrimmage!

No comments:

Post a Comment