Monday, August 6, 2012

Another new chapter

Some of you who have known me for awhile know that I am always searching for the perfect schedule, the perfect work, the perfect way to take care of these kids of mine. I have worked full-time at work with full-time daycare. I have worked full-time at home with part-time daycare. I have worked one day a week, I have worked five days a week. I have done daycare centers, in-home care and of course Alina. As you've seen through this blog (and will see this week as I post more of the stuff the kids have done!), Alina is awesome. She has done fun things with the kids, she has taken over my grocery shopping, she has been the extra pair of hands in the morning and especially during after school activities. She has been everything I hoped she would be when she started with us last November.

That being said, I wasn't at all prepared for how I would feel this year. As I worked more hours and saw less of the kids, I started to feel so disconnected. When I started to think about next year's school year, I realized I missed all of last year's school year. I just couldn't do that again. So on Monday, I told my boss that I needed to quit. Because, you know, in my mind it's all or nothing. After talking with her, she just looked at me and said, "Don't quit. How about part time?" Well, ok. Let's figure out how that works. I need to be off on Fridays, and I can work 9-3 Monday through Thursday. Done deal. She gave me that schedule, but also offered to let me work full-time, with time made up at other times.

It's ideal (I think). It's perfect (I hope). It will be really hard to say good-bye to Alina (although it helps that I know we will see her often, regardless!), but really what I need to do. That is, until I decide that I need something else!

(If you are reading this and work at DS, please keep this to yourself for now! Everyone at home knows, but I'm not really planning on widely communicating this there. If all goes well, no one will really know my hours, and I will continue to deliver without interruption!)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Congrats! It sounds like a great deal. Will you work at home?

Post a Comment