Tuesday, June 2, 2009

It's not that they're growing up, it's HOW they're growing up

Last summer, Nolan's shoes were always on the wrong foot. I mean, always. Jenny next door and I used to laugh and just tell him, however you're going to put them on, just put them on the other way. Then last night, I watched him put on his shoes, on the right foot. Without even thinking about it. I was shocked--when did that happen? I know, his shoes on the right foot. No big deal. But I just looked and shook my head. It's really the little things.

The little things, unless you're Abby. Her way of showing me isn't quite as cute as shoes on the right foot. Instead, she's developing an attitude! In a big way. And it drives... me... CRAZY! She pushes buttons I never even knew I had. The other morning she had a softball game and it was cold. She got dressed, but I told her she might want to put on a long sleeve shirt under her jersey or she might get cold. "But Maa-ummmm," she said, "I just put this shirt on." Well, Abby, then be cold. I don't care, just trying to help. "Wellll, you could have told me sooner." Well, Abby, I just thought of it. Freeze. See if I care! (But I will, when she's complaining she's cold, of course!) But she is learning something of attitude at least. She needed to pick 5 of the 10 girls on her softball team to represent them in the all-star game. She's the youngest of all 10, on a team with 6-9 year olds on it. A big span if you ask me. When she filled out the all-star ballot, she didn't pick the girls I thought she would. When Dave and I asked her about it, she said the coach told them not to just think about the best players, but those that exhibit the best attitude, most improved, best hustle, etc. And the top girl, the coach's daughter, talks back to her dad all the time. Abby said she doesn't have a good attitude so she didn't vote for her. Good for you! At least something might be wearing off. Either that or she's heard me lament to Dave a hundred times over how I wish the coaches would stress more attitude and hustle than game mechanics. I choose to believe it's the former.

And then there's Max. Officially in the big kid bed now, he is big every day. On Saturday Dave was pitching to him and he hit a liner right back to him. The other kids never picked up a bat till they were at least 4. He's not even two! And he's pretending to be a baby all the time too. He picks up a blanket and comes and asks for uppies. It's cute, but it makes me believe that he knows his world will go topsy turvy very soon! Although, the other night I was holding a baby, and he really didn't seem to mind. He kind of ignored me, but he didn't insist I put it down or cry about it. Hopefully things will stay that way!

Four more days of school! Yeah! Another time passage... Abby's second summer vacation, Nolan's last summer before school. I plan to enjoy it with them as much as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment