Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's gonna be a long summer

I've actually had several titles going in my head, and it keeps changing, but I think the one I chose acurately sums it up. I've been so looking forward to Abby being done with school but now that it's here? I can tell it will take some adjusting.

Friday, first day off, Abby was bored. There's nothing to do. Oh my. Then people I didn't know started showing up at my house and playing on our jungle gym while the kids were outside. I asked name and ages (a boy and a girl), and they were both 5. Five? Isn't that a little young for you to be here, where your mom and dad have no idea who I am, or where you are? From now on I'm sending anyone I don't know home with my phone number. Mom or dad will have to call first. Anyway, Abby was then outside with Abigail across the street. I put the sprinklers on to water the plants and told them explicitly not to get wet. They weren't on very high, and I didn't want Max wet before his nap. Well, wouldn't you know it, twenty minutes later, I look outside and Abby, Abigail and Nolan's hair is all wet. I called Abby and Nolan in to ask them about it. Apparently, Abby either forgot that I told her she couldn't get wet, or she was just sitting near it and it just happened to get bigger. Hmmm, well, since I said they couldn't get wet and they did, I told them I was going to let them get wet in the afternoon, but now I wasn't going to. You would have thought I took away Christmas! She screamed and cried and begged, and I said no. This went on for at least 30 minutes, with her not even able to play with Abigail or get herself together. I called them in for lunch, told her it wasn't about the water but it was about trust, and if she can't listen to what I say, I can't trust her back there with her friends. She told me she was sorry, and I said I know, and she asked if they could go in the water. Answer still no. We talked about it some more, she asked more if she could go in the water, I said I'd have to think about it, and had them go outside. When I came out, they were super nice, did any favor I asked, and then asked to go in the water. Still thinking! The next time they asked, I finally gave in (Max was already down for his nap, it was getting chillier outside, and I had to leave for a doctor's appointment, so it would at least keep them busy!). Abby was ecstatic. Thank you mommy! I'm sorry mommy! This time, instead of saying I know, I said I forgive you. And you know what? I don't know about her, but I sure felt better. Forgiveness is a powerful thing both for the forgivee and the forgiver!

I wish I could go on to say that since then it's been ideal. But, she still presents with some attitude quite often. It's a fine line between letting her express her independence and her showing some respect!

Anyway, Friday we went down to Chicago. We hoped for warm weather, but Saturday was less than stellar. Instead of swimming in the pool, we took the kids to see Up! It was Max's first movie, and, while I don't need to take him again anytime soon, he did a good job. Better than I would have guessed. Luckily, when we got back, it was a little warmer. The kids and Dave went in the pool. I watched. They're crazy.

Sunday Dave and I left the kids and headed to the Brewer game vs the White Sox. Dave had the suite, which is always nice, and I didn't have to worry about the kids since they weren't there! Very fun... and then we had Sunday night without the kids, too. We were lost and didn't know what to do! Dave went back down to meet his parents and got them on Monday. I met my mom and went house hunting, which was very fun and I was glad I got to go. After that was swimming lessons... first one. Abby and Nolan did great. Max? Not so much. I was glad he didn't run out of the pool, but he really wouldn't listen to the teacher. It took Nolan three lessons the first time to not scream, so I'm actually quite happy with that.

That's about it! Today Max was in rare form. I think everyone's catching a cold, at least the boys, and it's making them crabby and whiny. Which, of course, makes me crabby and whiny! But, hopefully it will pass, the weather will warm, and the summer in all its glory will be underway in style.

1 comment:

Jennifer Fink said...

I love that I actually knew some of this stuff from *seeing* you at the grad party.

Great line, BTW, about the fine line between letting her show her independence and showing some respect. Seems like my boys keep losing that line too!

Post a Comment