Friday, July 18, 2008

Colorado Continued

Ok, so where was I? Oh yes, Steamboat, day 2. My day started out with a hike further up Fish Creek Falls, then back to the house, a few games of Monopoly Jr., a bath in the great bathtub, and then on with our day. We decided to take a gondola ride up to the top of Mt. Werner, which is the big ski hill in Steamboat. First we had to stop for some shopping, and here's Abby, showing off her new Steamboat cap and shirt.


And here's Gram and Abby, enjoying the view from the gondola


And here's the view from our restaurant at the top of the mountain. It can't be beat!


Abby had had enough of mountain looking fast enough, and when we got back down to the bottom, she decided she'd like to try something a little bit more less nature-y and a little more carnival-y! Here she is getting hooked up to the bungee trampoline...


And here she is once she decided that it was pretty fun to go high!


After that we went back to the house to relax. My mom and Uncle John went to the driving range... crazy! It's pretty hard to get your breath there, and it was hot. I think they both came back soaking wet and quite tired. But, that didn't stop mom from coming with Abby and me to Strawberry Park Hot Springs! And it's a good thing she did, because I had a Watsu Massage scheduled and really needed a babysitter (thanks, mom!). What's Watsu, you may ask? It's a water shiatsu massage. I had my own private hot pool, and the masseuse basically floats you in the water, continually keeping you supported, while he massages you. It was very, very nice and a great experience! While I was doing that, mom and Abby hung out in the series of hot pools, and explored the little islands they had.


Abby was kept busy just climbing the walls!


That night we basically went home and crashed. I wanted to get an early night's sleep because I was determined to hike further up the Fish Creek Falls trail. I got up at 5:45 so I could start at 6, and told mom if I wasn't home by 10 to send the troops in to look for me! Well, I hiked up for two hours and back for an hour and 10 minutes, so it was probably closer to 10 than she was comfortable with! But it was completely worth it. The hike was exhausting, but I would do it every day if I could. I think I went about 2000 feet up, and almost 5 miles in, from what I can tell from the trail map.



Each stage of the mountain had a very different look. Here's the birch trees that looked so neat.




This is what the trail looked like in some places. Yes, that's a trail!!




I guess I know why they call them the rocky mountains! It looked like the rocks were growing out of the field.




Sometimes my trail looked like this... it was 85 degrees during the day, and there was SNOW in my path!


Here's what the trail looked like when I decided to turn around... the snow must have just melted to make it so muddy. But then, I just had to see what was up ahead and went through it.

And then... My favorite picture!! This is my moose. Yes, mine. I got past the mud, looked around, and there he was. It was so cool.


And, on the way back down, but slipped and got war wounds. Completely worth it!!


And then that afternoon, the real reason we came to Colorado to begin with... the wedding! Here's a picture of the three of us, ready to head out.

The wedding was at 3:30, with a reception at the church afterwards (all kinds of pie and a cake... yum!). After hanging out there for awhile, a bus came to take us to a ranch. I have no idea where it was, but it was out in the middle of a lot of nature! Once we got there, we all grabbed a beer and headed out on a horse drawn wagon ride. Upon return we had some music and some great steak, chicken or trout and all hung around talking. The guy who was singing was fun and sang some great Western songs, both "real" (think John Denver) and "fun" (think I'm My Own Grandpa and She'll be Coming 'Round the Mountain). It was truly a lot of fun and a perfect wedding for my Aunt Vicke and Jim. Here's the happy couple!


Saturday morning we headed out to my aunt's new house to see it and have breakfast. I don't have any pictures of their house though... sorry! We watched them open up gifts, said goodbye (which was hard because she's so far away now!) and headed back home. Some more time in the pool, church and then Abby and I got dropped off for another round of mini-golf while my Uncle John grilled out brats. Yum!

Then, on the last day, we got up and Abby and I headed over to the balloon rodeo that was taking place in town. We walked down to the parking lot, took a bus to a park, and then watched the balloons. It was really neat... we think there were 30 of them!




There was even a wedding in one of them. Abby thought that was a little crazy. I tend to agree!


And that's it. The rest is the long drive home, which really wasn't too bad either. The last 6 hours was just Abby and me, and Abby slept for three... it was actually nice to have some me time, even if it was on the highway. So, if you've made it this far, congratulations! Vicke and Jim (or is it Aunt Victoria and Uncle James?)--THANK YOU for a great excuse for a vacation, for letting Abby and I tag along, and for living in such a beautiful area! I hope I can come visit sometime. It was great to see the two of you together and your new house. Here's to the next 25(+) years together!

Next up, Max's birthday and Fourth of July. Crazy! Tomorrow we're heading to the zoo for another zoo class, Tuesday I'm going to work, Tuesday night we're heading down to Chicago to hang out at Dave's parent's house (and pool!), we'll be back on Wednesday... Meeting Jen and kiddos to celebrate birthdays at Stonefire Pizza Company in New Berlin on Thursday, Friday Dave's parents and our niece and nephew are coming, Saturday we're having a pig roast and Sunday Dave's going golfing and the in-laws are going home. Whew! That's a week... I think I'll be tired!!

If anyone reading is interested in coming the pig roast on Saturday, let me know and I'll get you info... we'd love to have you! Starts at 3, we'll have lots of food, drinks, games, everything!

P.S. Of course I have about a million more pictures. If you'd like to see them all feel free to view them on Shutterfly: www.coloradoabby2008.shutterfly.com BEWARE: They're not all labeled or organized, and there's a lot of them! :)

1 comment:

Victoria Golden Messing said...

Jill,
Thanks for taking the time to blog. I enjoyed reading about your trip, since it seems I never had enough time to spend with everybody while you were out here. I have to make one correction, tho - the trees out here are Aspens - not Birch! (I know, they look the same.) Loved "your" moose. Now you'll have to bring Dave and the boys out. Our door is always open.
Love, Aunt Vickie

Post a Comment