Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In the past month, I've taken a hiatus from every activity I could get out of that I wasn't completely committed to. It was really just too much for me, for the family. So today, after awhile away from tae Kwon do, we've returned. It's amazing the decline I've seen in Max's concentration over the past month, and I'm hoping his return will help bring it back.

Because it's been so long since we've come, instead of dropping him and running, I stayed for the entire two hours. It's not all class time, but rather 45 minutes of his class, 15 minutes of kick team class (helmets and soft swords), and then an hour of helping with the low belt class. Watching him help in the low belt class is the most interesting. They don't just turn him loose and leave him to his own devices. Instead they teach him how to lead... Where to stand, how to encourage, how to demonstrate. It's actually very cool watching him learn this skill set, which is such a different skill set from being good at tae Kwon do. As an HR person, it's enlightening and what we teach. The DOERS are not always the best LEADERS. Both the doing and the leading are skills that must be taught.

As a side note, I'm debating whether to enroll Ava. And, if I do, should I go to the family class with her? My sister just told me today she's doing it... And testing for a belt coming up. The challenge may be on!!



Location:Kick team

1 comment:

Holly said...

Do it! And I mean you. I can't tell you whether Ava is old enough to have it be worthwhile, but you really should try it!

And I have believed for a long time that taekwondo is helping my big boy with focus and attention at school.

Post a Comment