Sunday, July 10, 2011

16 miles down

Yesterday was the proving point of whether I would be able to run the marathon or not. After last week's run of 15 miles down in Chicago, there was severe doubt in my head. It didn't feel good, I didn't finish well, and I didn't want to run that far again. So this week I was dreading the 16 mile run on Saturday, despite good runs of 4, 8 and 5 miles on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I got up Saturday morning and thought I'd just start it, see how it feels. I got all my stuff ready to go and went to the front door, where there was a sign that said, "We are so proud of you and love you!" It made me smile and gave me the motivation I needed to get started.

I usually drive to the trail for my long runs, but because it was so long this time, I just ran to the trail (3+ miles away). I started at 5:30 AM so luckily there was no traffic, but there were definitely more hills than I'm used to. Not good on the going up but good on the going down! The weather was absolutely perfect for running--not cold, not humid, not hot. Perfect temp, no humidity. Do you think it's too much to ask for no humidity on race day?

Don't get me wrong, it was still a long, long run. I was great through ten miles, 10-14 was iffy, and 15 and 16 were quite difficult. But in the end, I did it! And, it only took me a few hours to recover. :)  I thought I wouldn't be able to walk today, but I actually feel pretty good. Maybe it was the pineapple vodka I celebrated with yesterday afternoon??

Anyway, I'm going to push forward. This week is a step down week with just a 13 mile run on Saturday. After that it's 18 next week, then a step down week, then 20 miles, and that will be the farthest until race day. How I will get from 20 miles to 26 I have no idea, but they say you can do it. Adrenaline takes you places.

I've had some interesting experiences running so far, too. Three weeks ago, I ran 13 miles and when I started it was raining. I don't mind the rain so much, and when it was finished, I felt like I was in Bambi. Squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, birds everywhere. And then there was the deer. It came out on the trail and just looked at me. I assumed it would run away, and it did, but not until I was about ten feet from it. It freaked me out a little bit!

Then this past weekend I ran on trails by Dave's parent's house. I saw a deer chased by the dog in front of me, then two deer on the side of the trail that just walked me run by, and then a tiny little doe that ran in front of me and just kept running up the trail. If it would have gone to the side I wouldn't have had to keep chasing it! Then I also saw a crawfish and a snake (ewww!!). Then a biker passed me and as he passed he said, "On your left, sir." HEY!!! And then I saw... a lot of things I didn't recognize! Meaning, I got lost. Afterwards I realized that I didn't get off on the right path on my way back, but I had no idea when I was on it. I went about two miles farther than I was supposed to and I must have looked pathetic enough because when I asked a lady for directions, she took pity on me and gave me a ride home. So nice! And so fortunate! She was going to be running further, but she had side stitches and so decided to call it a day. I couldn't have been luckier.

We'll see how the remainder of the runs go. Hopefully they don't get too crazy, or I may just have to call it a day!

1 comment:

Jennifer Fink said...

Jill, I am so proud of you! I did a 5K on Sunday, and thought of you the whole time. I figure if you're going to do a marathon, I can at least run 3 miles. Of course, I also meant to run tonight, but between the unexpected run to the other parent's house, the impending rain, the garage sale set up and the very dirty dishes, it just didn't happen.

What I want to know is: How do you make the time to run consistently?

Post a Comment