Sunday, October 10, 2010

Crazy days

So, we have been certainly trying to be outside, enjoying the wonderful weather forecast... which was very much as nice as they predicted it would be. But Thursday, when I finally thought I'd get to just have some time to enjoy it, when the laundry was pretty much done, when I had a dinner plan in place, I got a kidney stone attack. I felt a little off all day, but it just kept getting worse. By 2:30 I had called my urologist and they told me to come in. I called Dave and cried to him that he had to come home for the kids, and then I dropped the kids off with Rocky next door and drove over there.

Once I finally got there, I had to check-in (the woman took forever!), give a urine sample and get xrays. And the pain just kept getting worse. By the time I was finally in the urologist's office, I couldn't be comfortable at all. And the pain because so bad I threw up in the garbage can. I know. Lovely. They finally gave me shots for pain and for nausea and it was a God send. Then they asked if I wanted to get lithotripsy (the surgery to break up the kidney stones) the next day and I said YES, YES a MILLION TIMES YES!

So, from there I went to Walgreens to pick up my prescriptions. While waiting, I had to drink magnesium citrate, which is really disgusting. Think sweet grape kool-aid with about a cup of salt poured in. Bleah. It hit my system and did bad things, so I ran to the bathroom, where I proceeded to get rid of it all anyway it would come out. (Sorry, trying hard not to be too graphic!) While I was finishing there, my phone rings. I saw it was the hospital with my pre-op registration so I answered, asked for a minute and regained my composure and went through the registration with her.

I finally got my drugs and got home and after two percocet was feeling better. And, actually by about 10:30 that night, the stones had moved enough that they weren't causing pain. The x-rays the next day revealed that they moved from vertical to horizontal, and that's when they hurt, and then back to vertical which felt better. But regardless they were still there and would certainly cause more pain another day.

SO, Friday morning was the outpatient surgery. I'd done this before and knew it wasn't too bad, except for the anesthesia, which I hate. This time, I didn't wait until I woke up to throw up. Once I was in the OR, I switched beds and decided the nausea would come then. They immediately called the anesthesiologist, who gave me lots of anti-nausea meds, and when I woke up, it was much better.

Hopefully, that's all taken care of for now. Last time all of the stones didn't come out and I'm hoping that's not the case this time. I don't think I could take another attack. I can deliver babies without pain meds but that? That was horrible. I'm happy to be on the mend now, but with I had another couple of days for my weekend! At least the weather this week looks nice again so I can still enjoy it.

1 comment:

Holly said...

This sounds awful! I hope you continue to feel better and have a good week.

Post a Comment