Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sadie's Crayon

Throughout the course of any given day, Nolan and I have several conversations. Many of them are interesting at first, but become quite mind-numbing because they happen so often. "Daddy's the biggest in the family, and Max is the littlest. Abby's the biggest kid in our family." This is one of my favorites because, of course, Nolan means age, but I always think yup, Dave's the biggest. Ha! Or the conversation of who would win in a fight, The Hulk or The Thing. Hmmm, I don't know Nolan. Who do you think? "Well, the Hulk when he's green." Oh yeah, probably. Good point. "Why didn't you know that mom?" What? Oh, probably because I wasn't really paying attention to you. "Well, who do you think would win between The Thing or Superman?" I don't know Nolan. Who do you think? "You have to guess." I'm not sure. "Just guess." Ok, Superman. "Why do you think Superman?" I have no idea. Because I had to guess, and that's the only one I actually heard you say. "I think The Thing would win, because Superman just flies, but The Thing has stronger muscles." That's true, I say. "Mommy, why do you always say 'That's true'?" Good question. Probably because I have no idea what else to say.

We have conversations like this every day, and today was heading in that direction. "There's a dead bug by our door." Yup, there's probably lots. Glad it's dead. Yesterday they were alive and trying to get in. "Will he go to bug heaven?" Not sure. (Well, I tell him not sure, but in my mind I'm thinking nope, not so much. But not sure seems nicer and prompting of fewer questions.) "When birds die they go to birdie heaven." Yup. "When dogs die they go to doggie heaven." Yup, like Sadie. (Uh oh. Why did I mention specifics?) "So Sadie's in doggie heaven with her crayon, right?" Well, ok. "She has her crayon, right?" I'm not sure what crayon you're talking about. "You know, her crayon, her marker." Ah! Her marker. Like when we went to visit Nana and Julie in the cemetary and they had markers? "Yeah, like that." Markers. Or crayons. Either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment