Sunday, October 5, 2008

Armadillo Soup and Other Parts of Daily Life

As we're settling into fall school life, I thought it would be fun, or maybe just interesting, to take some pics of our average life hanging out here at home. Nolan is a little lost without Abby still, but comes up with some pretty crazy things.

Once we're all up, Abby and Cody have headed out the door, it's usually not too long before Max goes down for his morning nap. When he wakes up and Nolan hears him, he loves to run up there and crawl into Max's crib with him. Sometimes Max isn't even fully awake yet, but he does laugh at Nolan. Here they are hanging out in Max's crib, in matching outfits. (Awww, aren't they cute?)



After a stint in the crib, Max loves to head into Abby's room to see what trouble he can get into. His latest trick? Climbing up the ladder into Abby's bed. And then getting stuck there.



And to round out the trifecta, they head into Nolan's room for some more ladder climbing. At least Nolan's ladde I can take down if I don't want him up there.


Then we figure out what we're going to do for the day. Last week, one of the days was heading to the zoo to meet Jen and kids for the day. To try to get the seals (sea lions? whatever) over to them, they all made fishy faces. It actually worked, even though you can't see them here.


And Max just loved holding Chad's hand. I think Chad liked it, until I asked if he wanted me to pick Max up and he said, "Yes. I'm having trouble controlling him." Yeah, tell me about it.


But they certainly look related, don't they? Blondies!


The hyenas were out and pacing through their area. What ugly animals they are!




Last weekend, Abby had a birthday party for a friend of hers, Reagan. Reagan turned 7, which of course is first grade age, but still seems strange since Reagan was just at Abby's sixth birthday party. I couldn't imagine Abby to be a year behind from where she is now, but there is certainly a difference between them. Not to mention that Reagan had a tea party with dolls and everything. Abby had fun, but really isn't that much of a girly-girl.


On other random days, I give Max Heinekin to drink. It makes the naps last longer.


Some days, we head to McDonald's. Actually, we've only gone there once since school started, and I'm pretty surprised at myself for that! But, the boys love it and Nolan's really good about going through the play area with Max. Max could spend an hour in this spaceship thing, I think.


Believe it or not, we actually prepare dinner during the day sometimes, too! Here's Nolan helping me make meatloaf. He really got into it!


Before we made meatloaf, we read Nolan's book that he got from preschool. It's a Diego book where they have a rainforest race and the armadillo wins. After we made meatloaf, he asked me if we could make armadillo soup sometime. Since Dave was making jumbalaya, I decided it was a perfect opportunity! Sure, Nolan, let's make armadillo soup. Here they are making their masterpiece. It came out tasting yummy, but Abby burned her hand a little bit from stirring. We're not sure if it was from the steam or she actually touched the pot, but she got a nice water blister that popped. Other than the first 20 minutes of crying she was pretty good about it.


And while they made armadillo soup, Max played in the bathroom. Medicine dropper? Check. Soap? Check. Towel? Check. What else do you need for your foot bath?



After that we headed to The Elegant Farmer, a pumpkin patch in Mukwanago, which was really a lot of fun, with perfect, perfect weather on Saturday. We got some apples, bread, pumpkins, cookies, and the yummy, yummy, yummy apple pie in a bag. I could eat that at one sitting!

Wooden horses, anyone?



On the hayride we saw this beautiful apple orchard.



Farmers at heart.


Max really got into his pumpkins!


Dave picked his!



Abby could barely hold hers.


Here's Dave's real pumpkin.


Max was certainly tired out...


And Abby and Nolan continued their crazies long into the car ride.



Friday night Abby and I went out to eat and had good girl bonding. I took along the book KidChat, which asks a bunch of questions, and it was fun listening to her (Would you rather explore outer space or the bottom of the ocean?--Outer space, because she wants to be one of the first people on Mars). When we got home, Dave and Nolan had set up a "pirate ship" in the house. They pused all the couches and furniture together, and had a plank and everything. It was pretty cute. Today, I cleaned out my shoes! For those of you counting, I gave away or threw out 18 pairs. And I have 20 left. Don't judge me.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment