Monday, September 21, 2015

Amsterdam


When I studied in The Netherlands 18 (18!!) years ago, I made it to Amsterdam once. I remember vague pieces of it. My friend Renee and I stayed in Amsterdam with two guys we knew (sorry mom!). We went to the zoo, and something called a Birdie Market. It seems like I would remember more. But this weekend, I got the chance to revisit it. On my way from Union City, TN, to Gloucester, UK, for work, I made a stopover in Amsterdam. I considered heading to Maastricht, where I studied during school, but decided instead to explore Amsterdam. I'm glad I did. I walked nearly 14 miles in one day, saw so many things, and just really fell in love with it. It's such a historical, busy, beautiful city. 

Schipol Airport... it was good to be back. 


The view from my hotel room. They did a lot of crew training. It was raining at night and in the morning, but beautiful during the day.  
 More from my hotel window.


The canals are amazing.  

So picturesque!

I stopped at a cafe and had a Brand Bier. I missed Brand! That's all I drank when I was here!

Pretty certain this was the Birdie Market I saw when I was here 18 years ago. Flowers, produce, fish, flea market, crepes, you name it, they have it!


There was a big art show going on called I amsterdam. It was very cool, and all over the place.

The flower shop.

This was for Max. Nutella, everywhere. He loves Nutella.

 FRITES!!! Met Mayo!!!


My beer. It was actually Brand, but in a Heineken glass.

Heineken Brouwery.


When I came back to my room at night, there were three little sailboats out, with three little boys manning them. So picture perfect.


It's a busy two weeks, but I'm so glad I came here. I hope it's not another 18 years before I see it again!

Added after I finished writing... things I forgot. The BIKES! They bike everywhere. I know that's obvious, but seriously. Bikers have the right away to everyone, including cars and pedestrians. In fact, I saw a girl get hit by a bike. It wasn't pretty! The AIRPORT! They have security down to a science. It was really pretty cool. Also cool? I actually understand how to navigate an airport, unlike 18 years ago when I was really quite confused and just followed everyone around. The PHONES! Actually, the lack of them. If  you have them out while you're walking, you'll definitely get hit. And I sat in a cafe, with people, none of whom had their phones out. If I saw a phone it was definitely the exception and not the rule. Very, very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment